CSKA Moscow 1 - 4 United


Boss. Photo: www.standard.co.uk

Games in Russia are usually tough fixtures and I didn't expect today's game to be any different. However, it was a stroll for United. United put the game to bed inside the first 30 minutes and did not score more goals simply because our players put their foot off the pedal. I thought Martial was absolutely magic tonight, my man of the match. 

United started brightly with a fine move by Martial and a good finish by Lukaku. CSKA could have drew level but DDG made one big stop barely two minutes after United took the lead. Our players never looked back from then on and added a second and a third just before the half-hour mark. Some of CSKA's defending was shambolic and I honestly grew tired of hearing the commentator say a name from the CSKA team followed promptly by "gives the ball away". United played extremely well tonight but our game was aided by a woeful CSKA side.

Smalling, Bailly and Lindelof did well in a 3-man defence. I thought this was Lindelof's best performance in a United shirt as he looked assured. Having said that, CSKA didn't give him a really hard test but his gradual inclusion in our first team might be paying dividends. Blind and Young enjoyed a more advanced position and both did really well. I must say, I am extremely impressed with Ashley. He's managed to transform himself from a player on the verge of an exit to a starter. The guy understands what a privilege it is to play for Manchester United. 

Matic and Herrera bossed the midfield, as you'd expect. Herrera looked very comfortable today and I think it is good that he's getting match-fit in time for some tricky games that are on the horizon. We're soon facing Liverpool and Chelsea, those are his kind of games. Matic oozes class. Just look at the gif below.



Our goal scorers, Lukaku, Mkhitaryan and Martial were given freedom and they excelled. Martial was involved in all our four goals, Lukaku scored a brace and Mkhi scored his second of the season. After seeing Martial tonight, I think Rashford will be lucky to keep his place in our starting line-up on Saturday. Both are extremely talented but I think I trust Martial more. 

Another 4 goals and one step closer to qualification. We knew this group was going to be easy but I din't expect it to be this easy. Heck, I think the Europa League fixtures last year were more challenging! Well, it might be because we had a weaker team too. Crystal Palace next: I expect goals...plenty of them. 

Comments

Top Posts in Past Month