United 4 - 3 Newcastle
Smalling Rio Evans Evra
Valencia Carrick Scholes(Cleverley) Giggs
The harm these performances are doing to my health is probably huge. However, there's no denying that winning games in such a way leaves the sweetest of after tastes. It has become inevitable. You score, we hit you back....and then sucker punch you at the death. United trailed the barcoded United THREE times during the game. Still, we managed to win the game. Oh it feels so great supporting Alex's men!
|Chicha Scored Another Winner|
BUT this was a very very weak performance. Sir Alex would be, in my eyes, the man responsible had the catastrophe of getting beaten by Newcastle at home happened. Why on earth were Giggs and Scholes both in the starting XI?! While I admit that Scholes' passes are still brilliant, I just don't think that they should be both on the same pitch at the same time. Our midfield was all over the place until Cleverley replaced Scholesy. And guess what? We looked miles better with young Tom at the heart of our midfield. He hackled down Newcastle's players and that left space for Carrick to spray the passes. Carrick's pass that lead to the winner was world class. Absolutely brilliant.
|He Scores Goals Galore, Johnny Evans|
Evans and Evra, again, found the back of the net against Newcastle. These two are scoring for fun. Unfortunately, Evans made an own goal minutes after scoring at the other end and that looked like it destroyed his confidence for the afternoon. With the exception of Evra, I don't think any of our back four had a good game today. The 3 goals conceded are a testament to that. I'm not sure what's wrong but we're conceding tooooo many goals.
At the other end, our strikers had a decent game. RVP scored his 16th of the season while Chicharito scored the winner after missing a couple of very good chances. That's what strikers do, so I'm not complaining. With respect to the wingmen, I know I've slated Giggsy but I actually think he had a better game than Valencia. Still, Giggs and Scholes on the same pitch at the same time should never ever happen again. Unless we win the League in April with a handful of matches to spare, that is.
Am I delighted after the win? Yes, I am. Loved the manner of the win? Yep! Worried about our defending? Definitely, but we're getting the points and as long as that happens, I won't be complaining. 7 points clear as City slip yet again. Oh wonderful Christmas time!
- 24 of Man Utd's 46 league points this season (52%) have come in games in which we've trailed.
- Robin van Persie has now scored 61 goals in his last 74 Premier League appearances.
- No defender has scored more Premier League goals than Patrice Evra this season.
- Before 2012-13 Man Utd had only scored 7 own goals at Old Trafford in 20 PL campaigns. This season we have 4 already.
- Jonny Evans is the 3rd player (after Rooney & Bale) to score at both ends in a PL game this season. Only happened twice in 11-12.
- Man Utd have now won 18 and lost just one of our last 21 Boxing Day fixtures and we have won the last nine in a row
- Before today, Since the start of last season Man Utd have lost two of the six Premier League games that Giggs & Scholes have both started. That is 33.3%. Not a good record.