England 1 -1 USA


England scored barely 5 minutes into the game but failed to add another goal even though we dominated the 2nd half. Whenever England score early I fear the worst. Remember England vs Portugal Euro 2004? England vs Portugal Euro 2000? England vs Brazil World Cup 2002? Vs Croatia in 2007? Everyone knows what happened in those games!

To be honest with you I had a gut feeling that this game will end in a 1-1 draw. In fact I told my mate that it will probably end in a draw, so yeah, I should have bet a fiver on that score. Before the match I also spoke with Silvio about our goalkeeping problems but I did not foresee the howler by Robert Green. That, at this level, is simply unacceptable. I feel for Green, he seems to be a decent bloke but this match will most probably be his last match in this World Cup.

It wasn't a great result but it wasn't terrible either. Some think that a 1-1 draw is a just score but I think England were the better team especially in the second half. We missed a couple of decent chances. Heskey missed a very good chance while Rooney played well but was only threatening, in front of goal, once. In my opinion Liverpool's Steven Gerrard was the best England player on the pitch.

The hype built by the media is probably one of the reasons why most people are disappointed with the result. However, I'm not too worried. Remember that the USA drew 1-1 with eventual winners Italy in the 2006 World Cup group stages! So yes, there is still hope. The thing that is worrying me is our ever growing injury list. King will probably miss the next match and Milner is sick. Anyway England's next game is vs Algeria. I expect a win, but with England you never know!

COME ON ENGLAND!

Comments

Top Posts in Past Month