United 3 - 2 Newcastle

Martial scored a great goal today - Photo Manchester Evening News
It's been a while since I've shouted like that when watching a United game. Nowadays I usually shout in frustration as another ball goes astray. I was doing just that during the first half of this game and it was quite possible the worst United have played this season - which says a lot after last week's debacle. But something happened at half time and our players finally showed some grit to grind out a result. 

We went 2-0 down after 10 minutes as our defence was made to look like amateurs and Ashley Young was left with twisted blood by Newcastle's two goal scorers. I really don't know why Dalot isn't given a chance in the Premier League at right back. He's played twice in cup games so far this season and has looked quite good. There's not much to lose now if Mou 'risks' playing this young fullback. Young did improve and provided the cross that won us the game. 

Anyway, as you can notice this is a late post. I didn't write straight after the game as I went out but I was on such a high yesterday night that I opted to not write here. Why? I would have probably written how great our players were and how good Jose is. Granted, Jose made some decent substitutions and showed some spirit on the touchline and after the game and I liked that. Our players were terrible for most of the game but managed to win the game in a great 20-minute performance. But this win should not blind us. Had we been playing a top 10 team, we'd have lost this game by 4 goals....and I am not exaggerating. 

There were times when tactically United were a shambles. Newcastle could have scored another two during the first half - and this is a team sitting in the bottom three of the table. At this stage last season, our defence (which is practically the same defence we have this season), had conceded 2 goals. This season we've shipped in 14 goals - half the amount of goals we conceded after 38 games last season. Our defenders' confidence is obviously shot, they know they're not good enough because the manager has made it clear that he is not happy with the defenders we've got. The constant changes at the back does not help either. 

United also started the game with two defensive midfielders in McTominay and Matic - what the hell? We were facing Newcastle for crying out loud. We should go out an attack these teams because I won't believe for one second that we don't have enough quality to overpower teams like Newcastle. The second half showed that we have some quality players who have a lot of ability. Mata's freekick was class, so was the buildup and finish for our second.

They might not be best of friends but Martial and Pogba did Mourinho a big favour in this game to release some pressure off him. I thought the two were really good in our second half revival. So were Fellaini and Mata. Also glad to see Sanchez finally score, hopefully this will give him a confidence boost. Matic has been getting away with murder lately, he missed an open goal chance and was pedestrian throughout the game. 

This game papers over a few cracks but hopefully it's not yet another false dawn. I am not holding my breath though. Ultimately, I must say that I enjoyed the win and I was celebrating like a lunatic at the end. This is why we love football. I hope we see more performances like today's final 20 minutes because it was thoroughly enjoyable. 

Comments

Top Posts in Past Month