United 2 - 1 Chelsea

Man of the Match Lukaku scoring our first. Photo: goal.com
Despite our mediocre performances recently, I was quite optimistic before this game. Somehow, I don't really rate this Chelsea side. I think they're weak, weaker than us. 

United simply had to win today, a loss would have brought Chelsea level on points with us. We would've been a point below Liverpool and just one point above Tottenham. We simply cannot lose a top-4 place this year, otherwise Mourinho just can't tell us we've progressed. At least, if we stay where we are we can say that under Mourinho we've seen some progress and that we'll do that next step next season. 

Anyway, I really don't think United played that well during the first half. Chelsea looked better and looked in control. They got themselves in front after a fierce shot by Willian beat DDG at the first post. It was indeed a goal that confirmed that our David is human after all. He looked a bit shaky today, there was an instance or two when he made a meal of a routine save but he's excused. He could walk the ball into his own net and I still wouldn't question him.

Thankfully, United still managed to get on level terms during the first half after some fine work from Sanchez and Martial was duly finished off by Lukaku. After the Seville game, I said that Lukaku needed to show up in the big games and he did show up today. He scored and brilliantly assisted Lingard to score our winner. His sprint at the end of the game shows that we still have players with a bit of heart. Mourinho loved that and so did the fans. 22 goals and 7 assists is very good but, despite his performance today, I'm still not entirely convinced this striker can take us places. But I do appreciate his efforts. 

I expect much more from Martial and Sanchez. They did well to create our first goal but that's just about it. Sanchez also missed a sitter. Pogba had an good second half and I thought McTominay did really well again. He started the move that got us the winner. Matic was the best of the three. Substitute Lingard brought something to the team that was missing. The guy definitely gives his all whenever he plays and managed to score another goal, his 13th of the season. I just love Jesse. He seems to score only when it matters. 

Smalling had an excellent game at the back. I still don't understand all the fuss made about him after the Newcastle game. I also saw a poll a few days ago and most United fans want him out. Of course there are better defenders in the world but he's a good defender. I'd be more worried about Lindelof but I guess it's easy to just criticise Smalling. Also, don't we have the best defence in the Premier League? and didn't Smalling feature in 70% of our PL games? I think our problem is at the front. It's either that or Mourinho's negative tactics because I sincerely believe that we've got enough fire power at the front to swap most PL teams aside. 

Away to Crystal Palace next. They are fighting for survival so I expect a very tough test. It is important to keep the two point gap between us and Liverpool just before we face them at Old Trafford on the 10th March. 


Comments

Top Posts in Past Month