Swansea 1 - 3 United

DDG
Young Jones Rojo Darmian
Carrick Fellaini
Mata(Lingard) Pogba(Fosu-Mensah) Rooney(Schneiderlin)
Ibra

That's more like it. Our first half performance was the best I've seen in a while. We have a poor record away from home (even at the Liberty...we haven't won since we won 4-1 under the guidance of David Moyes) so this win was a bit of a relief. Some of our players looked like they found today's game easy. Rooney was excellent and both Pogba and Ibra had a very good game. Roo was my man of the match. 

If I'm honest, when I saw the starting line-up I was a bit worried. Young, Rojo, Jones and Darmian at the back looked like a disaster waiting to happen. Thankfully, they did pretty well against this Swansea side but I must say that Swansea were really poor. No wonder they're sitting at the bottom of the table. 

The first half was perfect. Everybody put in a good shift with the exception of Darmian who can't put in a good cross if his life depended on it. He started so well last season but he's really become mediocre. It could be that he lacks match fitness but I think he's one of the players who'll have to make way this summer. Where was Shaw? I don't know. I don't think he is injured but he was very poor vs Fenerbache last Thursday. Perhaps that's the reason Mou left him out of the squad.

In midfield, the return of Carrick brought back some stability and calmness when we built our attacks. Our main objective in the coming transfer windows should be to find a player with similar attributes to Michael Carrick and get him. Pogba plays so well when Carrick's in the team. I was talking to a Juventus fan the other day and he said that Pogba's best displays were when Pirlo played. I don't see why Michael isn't involved more than he is by Mourinho. Okay, maybe his pace would be an issue against better opposition but we've dropped 7 points against Burnley, Watford and Stoke. I'm sure Carrick is more than capable of playing against such sides. I think our best option is Herrera and Carrick lying deep and Pogba in front of them.

I can't say anything bad about Mata, Rooney, Pogba and Ibra. The latter worked hard and scored two, Pogba scored a belter and passed the ball well, Rooney made two assists and ran his socks off while Mata was his efficient self. 

Arsenal next. A very important game. If we win, we'd be 3 points away from an Arsenal side that is doing very well this season. A loss will put us 9 points away from a team that's currently 4th on the table. A must win. Meanwhile, Liverpool are top. They deserve that position because they've been playing the best football this season. Hopefully they'll start dropping points soon but, looking at their upcoming games, that's very unlikely. With only the Premier League to think about, they might actually do a Leicester this year... even the thought of it makes me sick. 

Comments

Top Posts in Past Month