Van Persie joins United!


So this Summer’s longest transfer saga has FINALLY come to an end yesterday evening when United’s official website confirmed that Robin van Persie had decided that the grass is greener at Old Trafford.

This is probably our biggest signing since Dimitar Berbatov joined our club for £30m. This signing of RVP is quite similar to Berbatov’s arrival. Our Bulgarian was on fire with Tottenham prior to agreeing a deal with our club and was on the wrong end of his 20’s. Robin has had a fascinating season with Arsenal and turned 29 last week. I wouldn’t say Berbatov was a huge hit at Old Trafford. Some of his play was breathtaking but he missed quite a few sitters and portrayed himself as a lazy player. I just hope Robin van Persie’s career at United pans out a little different from that of Dimitar.  

Do we need RVP?
In my opinion, what we really needed is a midfielder. A midfield enforcer, to be precise. We were decent up front. Rooney is world class and I’m a huge admirer of young Danny Welbeck. Chicharito is not bad either, although he obviously lacks the technical abilities that his fellow strikers have in abundance. Berbatov is a decent 4th striker as well but I don’t think he’ll be at our club come September. BUT I'm not complaining! RVP definitely falls into the category of ‘World Class’. His acquisition will form a mouthwatering partnership with Roo and it makes up for an exciting season ahead. I just hope Welbeck’s development is not halted because of van Persie’s arrival.  

RVP was one of just three current Arsenal players who I really admire. Wilshere and Chamberlain are the others. I wouldn't mind if one or both Englishmen follow RVP's footsteps in the near future ;)

Anyway, overall I’m delighted we are still able to attract top talent. Let’s hope van Persie continues the form that made him one of the most fearsome strikers in the league last season. I just can’t wait to see Rooney, Kagawa, Valencia, Nani and van Persie in action at once. I’ve got a feeling that we’ll be treated with quite a few goals this season! Welcome to Old Trafford Robin! 

Comments

Top Posts in Past Month