Farewell to Scholesy
I woke up today to the terrible news that one of our own was hanging up his boots. I've been expecting this day for the past couple of years and I feel down now that it is upon us. Any of my friends would tell you that I'm a big admirer of pinpoint passes and thunderous shots and Scholes had both of those techniques in his locker. The accuracy of his passes was a joy to behold. Although I regret to admit that he had become a tad less effective to our team in the past year, he was still spraying passes all around the pitch for fun.
The brilliant Scholes strikes vs Bradford, Aston Villa and Barcelona still play at the back of my mind. Those goals are a testament to the other skill Paul possessed. Shooting. The power and technique at which he hit a ball had the best players in the world sit back and watch with awe. Indeed our Scholes was adulated by the likes of Zidane, Xavi, Davids and the great George Best.
His only downside was tackling.
Replacing Scholes is an almost impossible task. We should look to get a player with other qualities rather than similar qualities to Scholes's because whoever comes, we'll know he'll be a far cry from the Scholes we all love. Manchester United has lost a stalwart footballing genius.
However, as much as I'm saddened at his retirement, I think the time was right for Scholes to call it a day. Thanks for the memories Paul, you have been immense.
- Premier League (10): 1995–96, 1996–97, 1998–99, 1999–2000, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2010–11
- FA Cup (3): 1995–96, 1998–99, 2003–04
- Football League Cup (2): 2008–09, 2009–10
- FA Community Shield (5): 1996, 1997, 2003, 2008, 2010
- UEFA Champions League (2): 1998–99, 2007–08
- Intercontinental Cup (1): 1999
- FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2008