United 3 - 0 Stoke

What a goal by Antonio! Photo: premierleague.com
Ahh it feels good, doesn’t it? When was the last time we’ve won three points and City dropped all three at stake? I know, I know, we will not win the league this year. We can sign Ronaldo, Messi, and 3 Sanchezes and still not win the league. City are that good. BUT I woke up feeling fine after yesterday’s performance, learning that City are not infallible and knowing that Liverpool’s defence is so shit that if they played for another 10 minutes they would’ve lost the game. The Scousers’ strike force is quite good though. You’ve got to give them that. But anyway we’ve got to thank Liverpool for making sure City do not end the season unbeaten. They spared us having to hear about the Manchester City invincibles for the rest of our lives.

I’m here to talk about our game vs Stoke. I thought it was a very good performance which could have been easily blighted by some moments when our defence was caught sleeping. The score line could have been extreme as Stoke should have probably scored three goals and could have scored another two….but I am not complaining.

Again, just like the Everton game, Pogba put on a real show. I thought he was excellent and fully deserved being voted the man of the match. He also recorded another two assists to his name but, let’s be honest, did he really assist Valencia in his first goal? Nah. All work was done by Valencia there. And what a goal it was! I could hardly believe my eyes. I never knew Antonio had a left foot...ha!

Our first goal was excellent and our second was a finish of the highest quality by Martial. Out of the seven goals we’ve scored since the turn of the year, five have been absolute belters! Lukaku scored our third to secure the three points. Our big Belgian had a very good game and so did Phil Jones at the back. Martial, Lukaku, Pogba and Jones were excellent in this game.

This team definitely has the ability to put you on a high and then drag you to lows in a matter of a few days. I wish United attacked like they did today in more games. Yes, Stoke are shit but I’ve seen United play poorly against sides of similar ability (Burnley and Southampton at home.....two very winnable fixtures that spring to my mind) and that’s why I’m happy by today’s display.

In other news, Sanchez seems on his way to United for 30m or a straight swap with Mkhi. Whatever option United excercise, it is good business. In today’s crazy market Alexis Sanchez is worth, at the very least, 70m. He’s a player that gets you excited when he has the ball at his feet. We need someone capable of wearing the historic number 7 shirt and I think he’s the right candidate. The Alexis Sanchez transfer saga has had several twists during the past few days so I wouldn’t be surprised if I see him in Chelsea’s or City’s blue come the end of the transfer window. Whoever gets him will be getting a player of the highest calibre. As for Mkhitaryan, it’s sad that it never really worked out for him. He started the season brightly but went missing during our most important games and never really recovered since. A very good technical player, no doubt, but too soft and tippy tappy for the Premier League.

Burnley next. 

Comments

Top Posts in Past Month