Northampton 1 - 3 United

Romero
Fosu-Mensah(Rashford) Smalling Blind Rojo
Carrick Schneiderlin(Fellaini)
Young Herrera Memphis(Ibra)
Rooney

Despite only playing a league one side, we were made to sweat and had to bring on Zlatan and Rashford to give us the edge over Northampton. You do expect such teams to give you a hard time though, for their players this was the game of their lives. 

I thought we were in total control of the game until Blind committed a silly foul inside our own box. It was a definite penalty and Romero had little chance saving Ravel's effort. We started the second half on the front foot but it still wasn't working out in the final third. Memphis worked hard but we needed someone to score and he didn't look like scoring. Fosu-Mensah was very unlucky not to get his name on the scoresheet but I wasn't very impressed with his defending. I recall two instances were he switched off and could have cost our team a goal. Will need to make sure he's alert throughout the game if he wants to play in the Premier League. Both Memphis and Fosu were subbed off and replaced by Ibra and Rashford. The latter had a great impact as he assisted Herrera for our second and scored our third. Rashford's determination that led to his goal was a joy to watch. That's the kind of players I love; players who just don't give up. 

I was very pleased with Herrera and Schneiderlin. Our Spaniard scored a great goal and assisted (kind of) Rashford to kill the game. Young wasn't half bad either. His deliveries were quite good. But mostly, I was really pleased to see the calming figure of Michael Carrick back in our side. His passing is second to none and he also complemented his man of the match performance with a very good goal. That goal eased some of our players' nerves. I don't care about his age, I hope I see him in the starting XI against Leicester. It's a shame that Manchester United's best passer of the ball is 35 years old. Oh how I wish he's at least five years younger. What a player.

Man Utd will be facing Manchester City in the next round of the League Cup. WOW. 

Anyway till that fixture we have some stern tests in the Premier League. Leicester next. I expect some big names to return to the starting XI. Rashford should start. Carrick should be in with a shot of starting. Rooney should sit on the bench and made to work hard to get himself back in the side. Let's get back to winning ways in the PL. Come on United!

P.S. I will probably not post a blog after Saturday's game because I'll be camping. I will definitely watch the game though ;) 

Comments

Top Posts in Past Month