United 1 - 0 Real Sociedad

DDG
Rafael(Smalling) Jones Evans Evra
Valencia Carrick Giggs Kagawa
Chicharito(Young) Rooney


An own goal barely 2 minutes into the game promised an exciting attacking performance. That didn't come but we got the three points and that's all that matters in football. We created some decent chances but wasted most of them. We hit the post twice and so did Real, although our goalie had both of their shots covered. I'd like to say I saw an improvement on last Saturday's performance but I'm not entirely sure about that. 

Moyes is new to rotating players and I thought he picked the right team for the game today. Although I cringed a bit when I saw Giggsy in the starting XI, I thought he did quite well. Irrespective of that, I'd rather not see him near our starting XI again. Valencia was brilliant at times and Kagawa did reasonably well for a player who's been out of the side for quite some time. Rooney created our first goal and was, by far, our most creative player. He could have easily notched a brace today but fluffed a couple of chances and had two decent shots saved by their goalie. Our other striker, Chicharito, looks like a guy who could do with a bit of confidence. When he was subbed off, he looked quite disappointed, I assume, with his performance. Let's hope he is featured in the upcoming games and hopefully gets a goal. That should be a real morale booster.

I thought our defenders played well. Jones and Evans are forming a strong partnership at the back. They had an excellent game last Saturday and they were really good today as well. This was our first European clean sheet in 10 games. Evra was poor and Rafael looked like his old self, you know, that rash tackler who looks like he's about to be sent off every time he tackles a player. Moyes was right when he put Smalling on for Rafael. Good sub that. 

I'm pleased with the result but we've got to be more ruthless in front of goal. The game could have easily been put to bed in the first half. There's still much room for improvement but at least we're doing quite well in Europe. Stoke at OT next. It is a winnable game but I don't know what to expect. 

N.B - It was great to hear our fans showing their full support for David Moyes. The chants "come on David Moyes" and "Moyes' red and white army" were sung loudly by fellow reds. That's what a supporter is all about. We were there during the great times and now we've got to be there during this difficult period. Anyway, I'm due a visit to Old Trafford. It's been almost 2 years since I've stood at the Stretford End for United's encounter against Liverpool and I can't wait to visit again. Problem is, it's too flippin dear to get to see one game. 

Come on United! 

Comments

Top Posts in Past Month