United 2 - 3 Tottenham

Lindegaard
Rafael Rio Evans Evra
Nani Scholes Carrick Giggs(Rooney)
Kagawa(Welbeck)
RVP
Roo was brilliant and unlucky
No, I haven't gone into hiding although, if I'm honest, that first half performance made me contemplate the idea. It's taken me a while to update this blog because my laptop decided to act silly and I have to make do with my Mum's PC.

Well what can I say about the game? The first half was an absolute disaster. I don't think I can recall seeing United play that badly. If I'm not mistaking, we only had one goal attempt during the first 45 minutes....and we were at Old Trafford! I accepted United's poor performance vs Liverpool, just because Anfield is probably a very difficult stadium to play in. But to play like we did during the first half, at OT, was unacceptable. Piss poor.

RVP looks like he needs someone up front with him
I wasn't surprised we found ourselves trailing Tottenham by 2 goals. Our defence was in shambles. Our midfield was ineffective and our sole striker was a mere spectator. No one looked interested. Scholes and Carrick didn't put tackles in while our defenders gave Tottenham's strikers an unobstructed way to goal. Giggs and Nani were useless while Kagawa was bullied off the ball again and again.

We needed a change and Fergie did that during half time. Apart from the inevitable barrage of shouting at our players, he put in Rooney instead of Giggs. A change which sparked our side into life. Suddenly it felt like we were heading to one of our famous comebacks. Tottenham were run ragged. Rooney was absolutely brilliant. Nani became more effective while Scholes delivered one immaculate pass after the after. Even new boys Kagawa and RVP actually got involved in the game. Although the latter did miss a chance that even I would have scored, while balancing a basin full of water on my head. Our Dutchman looks like he needs more game time, and if this is the case, I can't fathom why he's an automatic starter. Both Welbeck and Chicharito have a full pre-season under their belt.
Nani had a good game

Nani clawed one back but just when we were building up the momentum, our defence let us down again. Tottenham scored their third. We made it hard for ourselves, even though Kagawa reduced the deficit almost immediately. We huffed and puffed but lady luck was having none of it. We hit the post TWICE, had a decent shout for penalty turned down and found Friedel blocking every shot that came his way. 3 dropped points, while our main rivals won their respective games.

Surprisingly, I'm quite upbeat after the game. That second half performance was one of the best I've seen. The United faithful created an atmosphere synonymous with the big European nights at Old Trafford. It was the United of old that I've grown to love. Although our defensive and midfield frailties will probably come back to haunt us more times during the season, I think we can cope with it because we're really good up front. Young and Valencia will soon return and that will add more ammo. It's time Fergie reverts to the more traditional 4-4-2 formation, I just don't like the 4-2-3-1 we've been playing to accommodate Kagawa. Apart from that, we need to turn up from the 1st minute of the game. We have trailed our opponents during 5 of the 6 Premier League games.

Cluj and Newcaslte away next. I'm not too confident about the game at Tyneside, we were swapped off the park last year. Let's hope our attacking qualities prove too much for Newcastle to handle. 

Comments

Top Posts in Past Month