United 2 - 1 Leicester City

So happy for Luke - he looked ecstatic when he scored. A great performance. Photo: Getty

So the Premier League season is back! To be fair it felt like we had no break from football, probably because I actually enjoyed watching the World Cup and England, the team I support in International football, played up to the semis. 

Anyway, it is great to have Manchester United back. It was a very frustrating summer when it comes to transfers. I spent July and the beginning of August refreshing my Twitter feed trying to see what people and reporters - who probably knew jack shit about transfer activity - were saying. Obviously I was a bit disappointed with our transfer activity. I do think we need a centre back and a right winger. I would say we need an established right full back too but maybe this Dalot guy will do well there whenever he plays. 

We started today's game ever so brightly but decreased the tempo after the twentieth minute. We were rightly awarded a penalty after 75 seconds and Pogba dispatched with great confidence. The World Cup winner was absolutely brilliant today. It's amazing that he only started training last Monday - can't wait to see him when he's back to his full fitness. My man of the match. 

Leicester started controlling the game and our goalie had to do a couple of very good saves to keep us in front. This is probably what is frustrating us fans. How can Leicester come to Old Trafford and control the game? Perhaps a bit unrealistic, but I want to see the United we saw in the earlier stages of the game, all the time (or most of the time). 

Obviously there are a few players who look far from their full fitness but they'll come good eventually. Lukaku and Rashford are two examples. The former missed a sitter; a great chance to put us 2-0 with twenty minutes to go. Thankfully Luke Shaw managed to do just that fifteen minutes later when he scored his first senior goal. Chuffed for Luke. He had a great game and would have been my man of the match if it wasn't for Pogba's authoritative display in midfield. 

I also thought Fred had a very good debut and Perreira was excellent during the first half. He's so confident with the ball at his feet, we may have only bought one established player but Perreira will feel like a new signing. That was his Premier League debut, if I am not mistaken. Mata and Bailly were also excellent.

I was a tad disappointed with Sanchez. After the promise he's shown in preseason I thought he would hit the ground running today but he was very disappointing. I expect more from him but I am confident that we'll see a different Sanchez along the season. 

Also disappointed with the goal we conceded which made for a couple of nervy minutes at the end. 

Brighton next. God it feels good to have the Premier League back.




Comments

Top Posts in Past Month