United 4 - 1 Fenerbache

DDG
Darmian Bailly Smalling(Rojo) Shaw
Carrick Pogba(Fosu-Mensah)
Lingard(Memphis) Mata Martial
Rooney

A late and short post this. I was too tired to blog after the game yesterday night. 

This was a very good game by our boys and we were playing a pretty decent team. Prior to yesterday they were on a six match unbeaten run so winning this game so comfortably is a good sign. Pogba was excellent and so was Mata (what a pass to Martial that led to the second penalty!). Lingard had a good game and scored a great goal but it was overshadowed by his celebration with Pogba. Carrick showed that Mourinho should still consider him for Premier League games. His pass led to the first penalty and I think that his inclusion in the team brings out the best in Pogba. A midfield of Herrera - Pogba - Carrick anyone? I think it would work a treat. 

Rooney had a good game despite not getting his name on the scoresheet. He was involved in our 3rd and 4th goals and also let Pogba and Martial take the penalties. Was that a sign of a player who's short on confidence or was it a sign of a captain who let two players struggling for confidence to get a goal? I'm not sure. Had he taken (and scored) the penalties, he would have equalled and surpassed Ruud van Nistelrooy as United's top-scorer in Europe. Anyway, that was a positive performance by our captain.

It was also great to see RVP back. I wouldn't say I wanted him to score but I did have a smile on my face when he found the net. The reaction of the crowd was absolutely phenomenal. That's how you pay tribute to a player who almost single handedly won us the league three years ago. He never got to say goodbye to the fans so yesterday's game served as a good way to wave goodbye to one of the best strikers I've seen wear the red of United. Ohhhh Robin van Persie!

The only negative of RVPs goal was Luke Shaw losing the striker. Our fullback looked a bit off the pace at times and I don't expect to see him start in the Premier League anytime soon.

Chelsea away next. Difficult game but our players seem confident so I wouldn't be surprised if we got the three points. I wouldn't be too disappointed with a draw either but I expect us to be much more adventurous than we were vs. Liverpool. We'll wait and see. Come on United!

Comments

Top Posts in Past Month