WBA 2 - 2 United

DDG
Rafael Jones Rojo Shaw
Januzaj Herrera(Fellaini) Blind Di Maria(Young)
Mata(Falcao)
RVP

Well, I thought that was quite a good display.  We were all over WBA throughout the game but they still managed to score two goals....and they only had two shots on target. WBA’s goals were excellent finishes and our goalie could do absolutely nothing about them. 

What worries me is that both goals could have been avoided if our defenders were more concentrated. I think both of our fullbacks were at fault for the goals we conceded. Luke Shaw was out of position when WBA scored their first while Rafael failed to keep in line with our other defenders for WBA’s second.

I thought Blind was quite,good Di Maria drilled one brilliant cross after another and second half substitute Fellaini had his best game in a United shirt. I’m not saying this just because our Belgian scored a peach of a goal but also because he was everywhere during the second half and won several aerial duels. Was that the performance that kickstarts Fellaini’s United career? I bloody hope so. About time too.

I was a bit disappointed with some of the players. RVP was too isolated and his performance wasn’t the best he’s had. True, he was a tad unlucky to hit the woodwork and looked like he sparked to life as soon as he had a striking partner in Radamel Falcao. His performance before Falcao’s entrance was dire. Perhaps van Gaal’s decision to start with one striker is the reason behind RVP’s poor game. Herrera looked like he’s still injured and gave possession away too often for my liking. Mata was disappointing as well. He wasn’t really effective during the game. I know Rooney is getting a lot of criticism from our own fans, something I absolutely do not understand, but we miss him dearly.

As I said earlier, I thought we weren't that bad today. We deserved to win. We hit the post and were unlucky no one met one of Di Maria's crosses. It was also good to see United fighting to win the game. We were trailing until the 85th minute but fought to get the equalizer and we did. Our players also tried hard to get a late winner. The biggest positive was perhaps Fellaini's performance. Chuffed for him. It was also good to see two midfielders getting goals. In the past seasons, our midfielders weren't getting that many goals. Last season our midfielders scored 17 goals in all competitions. This year, our midfield players have already scored 9 goals. Our problem is that our strikers seem to be out of form. 

Thanks to this game, I can also say that I've now seen Young replace Di Maria. Who would have thought that this substitution will ever happen? Especially when Di Maria was destroying Athletico Madrid in the Champions League final last season!

So, more points dropped on our travels and I’m not really feeling optimistic about our next two games. Chelsea are miles better than us. We’ll wait and see what happens on Sunday. Come on United! 

Comments

Top Posts in Past Month