Newcastle 0 - 3 United

De Gea
Rafael Rio Evans Evra
Welbeck Cleverley Carrick Rooney(Scholes)
Kagawa (Valencia)
RVP(Giggs)

Good goal and a good performance by Johnny Evans
I expected this scoreline. However, I thought it'd be the other way round. I didn't feel confident at all going into this game, mainly because our defenders were having a torrid time lately. If we were going to score, I certainly didn't expect neither Evans nor Evra to be on the scoresheet. Further to that, seeing how shit we've been in corners, I definitely didn't expect our first two goals to be the result of two well taken corners. The most unlikely circumstances. If there was someone who played a tenner on Evans or Evra scoring, then he's one lucky sod. 

What ultimately won us the game was definitely Rooney playing in the middle of the park. Finally Fergie has realised that playing Giggsy in such matches is a no-no. Roo was excellent and he combined well with a very impressive Cleverley. The latter scored a peach of a goal, although if I'm honest, I think that was an overhit cross. If that goal was intentional, then fair play to him. I honestly don't give two flying fucks... as long as they go in. 

We've finally seen a very good Evra performance
I wasn't too impressed with RVP today. He looked agitated and was lucky not to get sent off. Welbeck had a good game but could have easily scored during the first half. Our weakest link lately has been our defense but they were excellent today. Every single one of them. Yes, that includes Evra. Rafael looks ten times the player he was last season while Rio and Evans barely put a foot wrong. Evra looked motivated. Apart from scoring a goal, he defended well against a very physical Newcastle side. More of the same PLEASE!

The only negative out of today's game was De Gea. When it comes to defending crosses, he's clueless and that's a tad worrying. I was quite surprised to see him starting the game as well. I knew Newcastle were going to target Ba and Cisse by crossing from the byline. Thankfully our Spaniard's rash decisions didn't cost us as we kept only our 2nd clean sheet in this year's PL. 

Regards Newcastle's 'goal', well I'm not sure what the rules say. If the rules say that the ball needs to be fully over the line, then it wasn't a goal. But I understand Newcastle's protests. That goal would have brought them back into the game. 

International break, then home to Stoke. Come on United!

Comments

Top Posts in Past Month