Super Cup final and start of PL

Watching the Super Cup final in Kenya!

I was in Kenya doing voluntary work for a whole month and just returned to my country last Wednesday. It was a great experience that puts things in perspective. Despite their daily struggles, the Kenyans seem very keen on football. Judging from the amount of people I've seen wearing replica shirts, Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal are very well supported. People there follow the Premier League, in fact I cannot recall seeing anyone sporting any Barca/Real/Bayern/Juve shirts. 

Anyway, I've obviously found time to watch both Manchester United games when I was in Kenya. I watched the Super Cup final on a surprisingly good internet stream and our demolition of West Ham at a hotel in Nairobi.

United 1 - 2 Real Madrid

I watched this game with my friends in a veranda in a town called Ololulunga. We started the game brightly but Real took over after the 15th minute or so. The football they played till the 70th minute was beautiful and must have been exhausting for our players. That Isco guy they've got is a real player. However, I wasn't too disheartened after the game. I think we controlled the game for about 35 minutes which isn't that bad against a side that annihilated Barcelona in the Spanish Super Cup. This Madrid team is the best in the world and there's absolutely no shame in losing to them by a goal. What encouraged me was the fact that we could have easily drawn the game but Lukaku and Rashford missed some good chances. This is the level we've got to reach if we want to compete in Europe. 

United 4 - 0 West Ham

I was a tad pleased after the Madrid game. After the West Ham game I was absolutely buzzing. I thought we were brilliant. New boy Matic was excellent, Pogba was toying with the Hammers' players, Rashford threatened with his pace and Lukaku scored two goals and expanded the team. Last year's problem was that Ibra was too static. I have no idea why Chelsea let Matic go but he looks like the player we really needed in the middle of the park. Because of Matic, I expect big things this season from Pogba. I also expect Mkhi and Martial, who had a great cameo, to excel this season.

It was a near-perfect display that had me watching highlights and reading reports for days. That was pure entertainment at Old Trafford, something we haven't seen in years. Obviously, winning one game at home to West Ham doesn't mean we've won the league but it has set a very good mood among the United supporters and I can imagine the players are super confident after that showing. We've drawn too many games at Old Trafford last season, we need to make our home a fortress again. 

I am writing this an hour before our game away to Swansea. I'm always excited before a United game but there's a real feel of anticipation today. Will last Sunday's Manchester United turn up? Or is it back to last year's dour football? We'll wait and see. Come on United! 

Comments

Top Posts in Past Month